E-Permitting and Emergency Resources

Given the City Hall office closures due to the COVID-19 Public Health crisis, the City of Fitchburg has set-up this page as a temporary clearinghouse for e-permitting and resources for businesses across the city. Below are links to a number of applicable permitting documents, Board and Commission information, and emergency resources for Fitchburg’s business community.

Emergency Resources

  • Emergency Small Business Grant: The City of Fitchburg has developed a $2,500 grant program for small businesses in the City of Fitchburg. Preference will be given to businesses that are existing loan customers, businesses with 5 or fewer employees, and restaurant/retail/entertainment businesses. Businesses must demonstrate business loss as a direct result of COVID-19 outbreak. For more information, contact Housing and Development Director Liz Murphyat 978-829-1897. 
  • Chamber of Commerce Emergency Loan Fund: The North Central Chamber of Commerce/Development Corporation is launching an Emergency Loan program to provide quick approval with loans of up to $20,000 to help small businesses. Loans will be awarded to qualifying local businesses that need access to capital and want to avoid high-interest credit cards or expensive and unregulated online lenders. If approved, the business is also eligible to receive business assistance from our NCMDC staff and consultants.

    To qualify, you must be an existing small business and be able to provide two years of tax returns, as well as demonstrate a direct financial impact of Coronavirus on your business. The loan amounts and terms may be flexible to fit the situation of the business. The Chamber continues to provide loans of up to $150,000 through existing loan programs, but those may take longer to approve. Please e-mail Sandie Cataldo or Brendan Hannen for more information.

  • Small Business Association Disaster Assistance Loan Fund: Small businesses, private non-profit organizations of any size, small agricultural cooperatives and small aquaculture enterprises that have been financially impacted as a direct result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) since Jan. 31, 2020, may qualify for Economic Injury Disaster Loans of up to $2 million to help meet financial obligations and operating expenses which could have been met had the disaster not occurred. Click here for the SBA Business Guide. Click here for SBA Loan Program information. Click here for the SBA Informational Slideshow.

  • Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act: 
    Small Business Owner’s Guide to the CARES Act
    North Central MA Chamber of Commerce CARES Act Summary
    US Chamber of Commerce Emergency Loan Small Business Guide and Checklist
    Federal Reserve Bank of Boston Paycheck Protection Program: How to Take Advantage of the Program


Completed paper applications/permits with necessary payment can be mailed to City Hall with Attention to the appropriate department or submitted via the dropbox outside of City Hall (166 Boulder Drive).  Users are strongly advised to utilize OpenGov, which is available for many of the permits below.

  • Form of Intent: Your first step in starting a business is to complete a Form of Intent with the Building Department. This will allow the Building Commissioner, our Zoning Enforcement Officer, to determine next steps for your business or development in the permitting process. For more information, contact Mark Barbadoro (978) 829-1881.

  • Planning Board: If you need Planning Board approval please review our reference materials and checklist and select the appropriate application form. Completed applications can be mailed to or dropped off at City Hall with the appropriate fee (checks payable to City of Fitchburg) and supporting documents. Please contact Principal Planner Mike O’Hara (978) 829-1891 with inquiries.

  • Conservation Commission: If you are requesting a Determination from the Conservation Commission, please review the Rules & Regulations and find the appropriate application under Online Resources on the right side of the page. Additional information can be found on the MassDEP page for Water Resources Permitting & Reporting. For inquiries or additional assistance, please contact Conservation Agent Mike O’Hara (978) 829-1891.

Board of Health

Food Permits, Business Permits & Licenses and Landfill permits are available online on OpenGov. For more information contact the Health Department at 978-829-1870.

Building & Zoning department

Building Permits are available on OpenGov.   They can also be accessed online here. For more information, contact Building Commissioner Mark Barbadoro at (978) 829-1881.

Board of Zoning Appeals: If you would like to submit an application to the Board of Zoning Appeals, please contact the Building Department directly. For more information on the ZBA, click here.  For additional assistance please contact Mercedes Mata (978) 829-1882.

Fire Department

Permits will soon be available online on OpenGov.